At the Council meeting on Tuesday August 18, the Council discussed options for a Parks, Trails and Open Space Bond proposal, ultimately voting against placing a recreation bond on the November ballot. The Council held and closed a public hearing at which more than 15 people spoke. The Council expressed its intent to discuss a bond proposal in the coming year, including how to address Golf Fund needs.
On August 13, the Council discussed the proposed initiative, which would be used to pay for more outdoor recreational opportunities in the City – including converting some current open spaces into new uses, adding trail improvements and connections. If approved by the Council, the bond will be placed on the November ballot. The Council took a straw poll on the option of a $99 million bond, which failed (read a synopsis of the Council’s discussion here).
Visit the Parks, Trails and Open Space Bond resource library to read the project categories, a project list (draft), and other information about the parks, trails and open space bond proposal.
- Tuesday, July 21 – Discussion on Mayor’s bond proposals during a 2:00 p.m. work session.
- Tuesday, July 28 – Public hearing at 7:00 p.m. Residents will have the opportunity to share their thoughts with the Council.
- Tuesday, August 4 – Discussion on proposal during a 2:00 p.m. work session.
- Thursday, August 13 – Discussion on proposal at 5 p.m. during added Work Session
- Tuesday, August 18 – Follow-up discussion during the 2:00 p.m. work session. A continued public hearing at the 7:00 p.m. formal meeting followed by a decision.
Other ways to comment on the proposed bond:
- Comment on the topics on Open City Hall, the City’s online forum.
- Our online comment form: “We’re Listening” on slccouncil.com.
- Email: Council.Comments@slcgov.com
- Phone: 801-535-7600 or Fax: 801-535-7651
- 24- Hr. Comment Line: 801-535-7654
- Mail: Salt Lake City Council, PO Box 145476, Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5476
- You may comment on any topic for up to two minutes during the open podium period of Formal Council Meetings.
- Watch Council Meetings live on SLCTV cable channel 17 or watch Council Meetings live from a computer by visiting slctv.com.
- View a rebroadcast of a City Council meeting on SLCTV cable channel 17 by checking the TV schedule.
- Listen to a previous Council meeting or download a podcast here.
- Contact the City Recorder’s Office at 801-535-7671 and request a CD copy of a Council meeting or a particular agenda item.
Check back for more information as it becomes available.