Responding to the City’s changing housing needs is a priority for the Salt Lake City Council.
For two years in a row, affordable housing has been voted a top priority by the Council. Council Members have already designated $21 million for use on this issue.
On December 12, the Council adopted “Growing SLC: A 5-Year Housing Plan. The Citywide plan is intended to serve as a guide for increasing the housing supply, expanding housing opportunities throughout the city, addressing systemic failures in the rental market, and preserving existing units in order to make Salt Lake City a place where all residents, current and prospective, regardless of race, age, economic status, or physical ability can call home.
Policy over the five-year period of this Housing Plan focus on:
☑ Updates to zoning code
☑ Preservation of long-term affordable housing
☑ Establishment of a signature funding source
☑ Stabilizing low-income tenants
☑ Innovation in design
☑ Partnerships and collaboration in housing
☑ Equitability and fair housing
Funding housing projects from the set-aside $21 million is a separate, ongoing discussion. Currently, there are a few proposals for the Council to consider. Discussions about funding specific housing projects are also occurring now on both the Council and RDA meetings.
Timeline of Recent Years Housing Efforts
- Salt Lake City Comprehensive Housing Policy adopted
- Housing/Homelessness identified as Council priority
- Council reviewed, updated and re-adopted Citywide Housing Policy
- RDA Board approves motion requesting affordable housing proposal from Administration for at least 4 million east side affordable housing
- Affordable Housing Assessment Briefing
- Administration briefed Council on $4.5 million east side affordable housing proposal
- Affordable Housing Finance Working Group Discussion
- Affordable housing / Homelessness fact finding night
- Follow-up discussion on Affordable housing / Homelessness fact finding night
- RDA appropriated $17.1 million
- RDA Housing Fact Finding
- Affordable Housing/Homelessness identified as Council priority
- Affordable Housing Priority Briefing
- RDA Board re- appropriated $17.1 million with new funding sources as recommended by Administration
- Growing SLC: A 5-Year Housing Plan Adopted