Please observe the following rules of civility to maintain the decorum of City Council Meetings.
The Council’s meetings are a place for people to feel safe and comfortable in participating in their government. A respectful and safe environment allows a meeting to be conducted in an orderly,
efficient, effective, and dignified fashion, free from distraction, intimidation, and threats to safety.
In order to support a respectful meeting, items that disrupt the meeting, intimidate other participants or that may cause safety concerns are not allowed. For example:
- Council staff or security officers may ask you to open any large bags, purses or backpacks for inspection, and may also request changes to placement of recording equipment or other props to help facilitate the meeting.
- Jeering, cheering, clapping and waving signs may intimidate other speakers and cause a disruption, so please refrain from such activities.
- Please be respectful to the historic elements in the room such as: keep feet off furniture; avoid leaning or touching paintings and other décor; and no food or drinks are allowed in the Council Chamber (Room 315).
- Generally, props and equipment are not allowed. If you have a prop or piece of equipment integral to a presentation, please clear its use with a staff member or security officer before entering the meeting room.
- Signs are permitted; however, so that they do not cause disruption or block the view of others, please follow these guidelines: signs should be able to be kept at your feet or on your lap; sticks or dowels are not allowed; signs can be kept near the podium on the floor during your turn to speak.
- If you have questions about proper placement of recording equipment or recording in general, please coordinate this with a security officer or staff member before the beginning of the meeting who will make requests to help ensure that it does not disrupt the meeting or make other attendees feel uncomfortable
- If you have written remarks, a document, or other items you may want the City Council to review, do not approach the dais. Instead, please give them to Council staff and they will distribute them for you.
- Failure to follow these decorum rules may result in removal from the meeting.
Return to About Council Meetings