Please observe the following rules of civility to maintain the decorum of City Council Meetings. The Council’s meetings are a place for people to feel safe and comfortable in participating in their government. A respectful and safe environment allows a meeting to be conducted in an orderly, efficient, effective, and dignified fashion, free from distraction, intimidation, and threats to safety.
In order to support a respectful meeting, items that disrupt the meeting, intimidate other participants or that may cause safety concerns are not allowed. For example:
- Council staff or security officers may ask you to open any large bags, purses or backpacks for inspection.
- Jeering, cheering, clapping and waving signs may intimidate other speakers and cause a disruption, so please refrain from such activities.
- Please be respectful to the historic elements in the room such as: keep feet off furniture; avoid leaning or touching paintings and other décor; and no food or drinks are allowed in the Council Chamber (Room 315).
- Generally, props and equipment are not allowed. If you have a prop or piece of equipment integral to a presentation, please clear its use with a staff member or security officer before entering the meeting room.
- Signs are permitted; however, so that they do not cause disruption or block the view of others, please follow these guidelines: signs should be able to be kept at your feet or on your lap; sticks or dowels are not allowed; signs can be kept near the podium on the floor during your turn to speak.
- If you have questions about proper placement of recording equipment or recording in general, please coordinate this with a security officer or staff member before the beginning of the meeting.
- If you have written remarks, a document, or other items you may want the City Council to review, do not approach the dais. Instead, please give them to Council staff and they will distribute them for you.
- Failure to follow these decorum rules may result in removal from the meeting.
Return to About Council Meetings